[identity profile] ekhoyote.livejournal.com posting in [community profile] artists_beware
Hi everyone! I'm looking for some advice regarding a situation I'm currently in.

I commissioned an artist back in June for a new reference sheet of one of my characters. About a month later, they posted a journal saying there would be delays because of life things. They posted update journals every other week through August, but have not posted any since. I reached out to them via email in October and November, but have not received a response.

Aside from lack of communication, my biggest concern is that the commission is for a reference sheet. Since it's essentially a complete redesign, I'm held up from using this character in other commissions, since I don't want to go off of his old ref sheet. I have not seen any WIPs yet, so I can't tell if it's been started or not. I let the PayPal dispute period run last month, so a dispute isn't an option.

My question is this: is it ok to ask an artist to change the commission type to something other than a ref sheet, for equal value, if it appears it has not been started yet? If the wait is too long, I'd prefer to take the ref sheet info to another artist.

If it comes down to it, I can ask for a refund. But I'm willing to wait longer for the commission if I can change it to something other than a ref sheet.

Also, I am not interested in turning this into an actual beware. I'm just looking for advice. I've had two good experiences with this artist in the past, and I'd prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt. Call me naïve, but that's how I feel.

Date: 2016-01-05 03:02 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] bornesb.livejournal.com
You could contact them and ask to change it to the other art type if they have not started yet, or for a refund, whichever is easier for them. If they have started already, you could say that's fine and you'll wait for the ref sheet to be done.

There's nothing wrong with that.
Edited Date: 2016-01-05 03:04 am (UTC)

Date: 2016-01-05 03:39 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] syrusb.livejournal.com
I would email them, let them know what it is you want/were thinking of now and see if you can work out a deal. Also let them know you understand they may not be comfortable with changing what was agreed upon and you are fine with a refund and a renegotiation at a later time.

Be sure to ask if they had done any preliminary work and if so, let them know which would be better, to finish that, or to take a refund minus the value of what has been done.

See if you can agree on some kind of timeline for completion regardless.

Date: 2016-01-05 04:28 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] sbneko.livejournal.com
Have you contacted them on FA/whatever art site at all? You mention they were posting journal updates, but you contacted them via email, maybe it's possible they never received the message.

Date: 2016-01-05 05:28 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ginkaruja.livejournal.com
Emails do often get eaten, I would try some other form of contact if at all possible.

Date: 2016-01-05 10:26 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] starcharmer.livejournal.com
I would totally allow someone to do this, especially in the case of a ref sheet. It sucks to have to wait that long and not be able to use a character you want to use!

The best thing to do is ask the artist what your options are. Maybe they are more open to a refund than a change of commission. Maybe they are open to having a deadline since you'd like the art sooner. Just talk to them and try to be polite but firm [which I know you'll have no issue with, you've always been super great to work with].

Profile

artists_beware: (Default)
Commissioner & Artist, Warning & Kudos Community

June 2017

S M T W T F S
     123
456789 10
11121314151617
181920 2122 2324
252627282930 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Jun. 27th, 2017 01:52 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios