When I hadn't heard from them again on January 3rd, I left a comment asking for an update. They said they'd just finished and sent me a photo. They asked if I wanted a background, I said yes, and they asked for my address. I assumed it would be going out shortly after that.
Well, I didn't hear back from them. On January 25th, I commented on the post again, asking if they'd finished it with the background and everything. They said they were sorry and thought they'd already sent me a pic; so they sent me one and said it'd be sent out soon.
Unfortunately, when I still hadn't recieved the badge or heard back by Feb 6th, I noted them again; when I didn't get a response back within a few days but saw that they'd faved things on FA, I sent an email with their paypal address. They did finally reply back on FA, said they were sorry, that snow and school had just postponed their post office run, and that they'd get it out by that weekend. Again, nothing, so on the 16th I was a little more firm and asked them for a solid ship date, commenting that it had been over a month and that i felt it was a reasonable request. They replied that they would get it out on Thursday and that they'd note me when they did so. I never recieved a note, nor anything in the mail.
This has taken quite a long time, and on top of this, the artist has never once reached out to me first - they've only replied to messages that I've sent them.
I'm used to buying/selling online, so my automatic thought here is to file a paypal claim if they don't send it out... However, I've never before commissioned art, and my impression is that this would be extremely rude, especially since a photo of the finished badge was sent (no scans, though; and it matters a lot to me that the piece ends up being physical - I'm not really interested in owning art that is purely digital). I understand that things get busy, and I've been very kind and understanding to the artist, but my patience for them is wearing thin.
Is it reasonable to ask for a refund or a partial refund at this point? Reasonable to report them here? I know two months is nothing compared to what many of the people I've read here have waited. But I'm still pretty unhappy with this whole thing nonetheless.
Sorry for how long this turned out being - I appreciate any advice!